Typical Day & FAQ’s
- Morning coffee begins at 6am
- Breakfast is made to order by Vicki during the hours of 6:30am-9am
- Take a quick 4-minute walk down to the beach to meet your surf instructor for your
- scheduled private morning lesson
- Smile! Video footage is taken during each morning surf session
- After your surf session, shower off in one of our outdoor showers & come join us for lunch @ 11:30am
- Video critique of the morning surf session will begin after lunch
- The afternoon is yours to relax by our pool, take a nap or explore the town. You have total access to our surfboard quiver, so you can catch a mid-day surf
- Free Surf starts around 3:30. Just like your morning surf session, just head down to the beach & our surf instructors will be there to help coach the group up until sunset
- After returning from sunset surf, bocas are ready around 6:30pm
- Dinner is served by 7pm
- The night is yours to hang out in our open-air rancho playing games, check out the local night life, or get to bed to begin the day all over again
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose us over other schools?
We are a 2nd generation family business, hosting guests for over 20 years. Our half acre private property allows you to immerse yourself into the Costa Rican culture. You are not treated as another tourist, you are part of our family atmosphere. We have passion to increase your ocean awareness and learn the real fundamentals of surfing. Our years of experience have given us in-depth knowledge and our own unique style which guarantees you’ll walk away with increased surfing skills and an appreciation for true Pura Vida.
How do I find out availability?
Please call Kelsey in our office (714) 969-3959 or email her: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I book my trip?
Once you have verified that your chosen dates are available, Kelsey will send you our booking request form. After receiving your information, we require a non-refundable deposit payment of $500 to secure your room. Your final balance is due 30 days prior to your trip. We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and checks.
What is your booking policy?
We are a small family business and only able to offer six rooms on the property. Each room counts for us, we appreciate your understanding of the polices below.
- Corky Carroll’s Surf School requires a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit of $500 to secure each room for the reservation.
- The guest’s remaining package balance is to be paid no later than 30 days prior to departure date and is non-refundable or transferable beyond that time.
- If you cancel your reservation 60 days prior to your reservation date, we will credit your deposit for a future trip. We want you to come on our trip, we will work with you to make it happen.
- If you cancel your reservation after 60 days prior to your trip and we can sell your room, we will issue you a credit of your deposit paid. If we are not able to resell your room, then we will not be able to credit the deposit paid.
- If your stay is cancelled by us, but due to reasons beyond our control (like a natural disaster for example), Corky Carroll’s Surf School is not liable for any refunds or travel costs.
- We do not give cash refunds under any circumstances
What airport should I arrive/depart?
Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) is the closest airport to us, please plan 2-3 hours to get to us. If departing from Liberia, please allow three hours for travel time and two hours for flight check-in. If you are arriving into San Jose, please plan 4-5 hours to get to us. If departing from San Jose, please allow five hours for travel time and two hours for flight check-in.
What is the best arrival/departure time?
We like to maximize each guests time with us. We do not have a standard check in, check out policy, but we do need the room vacated by noon on your departure Saturday. We suggest early morning/afternoon arrival time & afternoon/ early evening departure time. You must arrive into Liberia, Costa Rica by 4pm and San Jose, Costa Rica by 3pm. If your flight arrives after that time, you will need to spend the night at a hotel and we will pick you up in the morning on the next day.
How do I get to you & then back to the airport?
Once you have booked your flights, we handle the rest. Kelsey will book your round-trip van transportation. After you have landed in Costa Rica, transportation is provided to and from the airport by way of CRIC (Costa Rica International Connections). The air-conditioned vans are spacious enough to accommodate both small and large groups. The drivers speak English and Spanish and will wait for you to arrive, even if flights are delayed. Each flight is also tracked by CRIC and our facility host. Upon departure, guests will be picked up from our property and driven directly to the airport.
Where is the surf school located?
Our private half acre property is a four-minute walk from Playa Guiones beach. Playa Guiones is situated a few miles south of the town, Nosara. Nosara is on the pacific coast and part of the Guanacaste province of Costa Rica. We are about 2 hours south of Tamarindo.
Are you family friendly?
Yes! Being a family business, we have created a family friendly atmosphere. We truly understand what at a family needs to have a great time. We love being able to be a part of the amazing memories that will be created on this once in a lifetime trip.
What is the best time of year to visit Costa Rica?
Our season begins each November to mid-August. We feel the weather/wave conditions are the most ideal during those months. We are closed during the end of August till October; the weather can be severe and unpredictable.
What are the waves like at your location?
Playa Guiones has the most ideal waves for both long & short boarders. It is a sand bottom beach break, without rocks and is open to a wide range of swell direction. People seek this area as a world travel break due to consistent offshore winds and year-round 80-degree water. Please refer to our YouTube channel (Corky Carroll’s) to get video clips of surf conditions for each month. We have stayed in Playa Guiones for over 20 years due to all the above.
How many bungalows do you have on your property?
We have 6 bungalows. Each bungalow has a private bathroom (you do not share with another guest) with both hot/cold water shower. All rooms have 2 double beds, a mini fridge to keep water/snacks, safe to store valuables and a porch overlooking our pool.
Do you have AC?
We do not have AC. Each bungalow was built with 14 foot vaulted ceilings to allow great airflow. Commercial ceiling and floor fans will provide a comfortable night of rest.
Do I need a passport to enter Costa Rica?
Yes, your passport must be valid for duration of stay. Immigration may deny entry if passport is damaged or expired within 90 days of travel.
Is it safe to drink the water?
Yes, we operate on our own water well system, so you can drink the water. We recommend you bring a water bottle or take a walk to the mini super to purchase a few water bottles to keep cold water in your mini fridge.
Is it safe to walk around at night?
Yes, we recommend bringing a flashlight, the jungle does not have street lights.
Are you able to surf on the day you arrive?
Yes, if you arrive in the morning, we will be able to get you in the water. If you have an afternoon arrival, we can’t guarantee to get you in the water for a surf lesson, but if you arrive to us before 5pm, you can enjoy a quick dip in the ocean and beautiful sunset.
Do I need to rent a car during my stay?
No, the beach is a 4-minute walk and the town is within walking distance. We are centrally located, so you can find shops/restaurants by going in either direction. We recommend that if you want to explore beyond the town of Guiones, you can rent a Quad. Tuk Tuk’s have become quite popular in the last year, they provide an inexpensive way to get around town.
What other activities are close by?
Mini golf at Café De Pairs, Tennis Club Colibri, quad rentals, on site massage, zip line, fishing tours and many different yoga classes are available. We recommend that you book your activity/tour once you have arrived. We have an activity board that provides all activities & information. We are happy to help assist booking any extra activities during your stay.
Key words to know for Costa Rica travel.
- Mini Super: a local store that provides food, liquor, household and toiletry items.
- Pura Vida: Spanish for “pure life”. The law of the land in Costa Rica. The expression is used in many forms, from a greeting, to a synonym for excellent.
- Tico: is a term for a native of Costa Rica.
- Tico Time: is a somewhat affectionate reference to the Costa Rican habit of arriving late.